- ARM HW can be memory constrained so Native compilation is slow
- Setting up Native compilation for several boards is rather painful, if you, like me, have to compile several flavours everyday.
- Compiling under QEMU is mind-numbingly slow
- A x86 machine running Ubuntu
- A ready-to-use cross-compilation toolchain
- Something software to compile, say, a kernel
- Get an ARM toolchain and set it up
Untar it someplace in your $HOME, say $HOME/work/toolchains. You should now have a directory $HOME/work/toolchains/2008q3-72/bin with your cross-toolchain binaries.
- Download the Ubuntu kernel
git clone git://zinc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-jaunty.git
- Compile the kernel
- Bake it